Wednesday, November 09, 2005

when is the big discovery

I guess before fall is gone I should do at least one post having to do with music I like to listen to in autumn. This song is from an album I so associate with fall I even think of the album cover when someone mentions the season. I know I have been going through alot of music that I used to listen to, but it just occurred to me to get the album again since my previous copy was so scratched it was barely playable. I had a really difficult time choosing what song to post, I'd post the entire album if I could, but alas. The songs on this album are such a great mix of hardcore, metal, punk and emo that it's unbelieveable that the current trend of bands playing that mix screw it up so terribly. I guess it must be easy though considering everything Grade did after this was pretty downhill. There are those who contend that the album right after this, Separate the Magnets is their best due to the better production and musicianship but I think And Such Is Progress executes exactly the kind of emotional rawness that Sunny Day Real Estate only sung about. The edges are ragged, and therefore they can still cut as opposed to the slick sheen applied to such much of the "emo" out there, even the heavier stuff. The sound of the album is pretty unique in my opinion, and maybe that's because I never really pursued any more Canadian screamo, but it sounds like fall in audio form to me. The bite of the screamed vocals stings like approaching frigid weather and the warm guitar is reminiscent of the sun still coming through the cooling trees. I hope you enjoy it as much as I do.

Grade - And Such Is Progress

Grade - Bedhead

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home