Wednesday, November 02, 2005

how about a slower one?

This song is by an artist that came to my school last week for a benefit concert to raise funds for the radio station. I showed up expecting to see the usual group of people doing their open mic night routines, and for the most part I wasn't that disappointed. Not that it was bad, one group's rendition of "Okie from Muskogee" was pretty fun. But then there was the obligatory guy that had his own fan club who went on way too long, only to the praise of the clumped group near the left of the stage. But the last person that played really was impressive, I had never heard of her but my friend knew her and had said she was good. I don't know how much justice this mp3 will do, but it's what I have. Arum Rae plays a style of blues with minimal guitar and an appreciable focus on her voice, which she uses with just the right amounts of restraint and enticing power. Even though she was tired and her guitar wasn't tuning exactly right, she was able to hold everyone captive for her set. This mp3 is from a radio broadcast she did in her native town of Lexington, Va.

Arum Rae - Didn't I?

Photo of the concert (Who needs photoshop when your crappy camera makes the pictures artsy automatically?)

Arum Rae's website

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home