Wednesday, October 19, 2005

the heat goes on

Nice little fall break there. Now it's back to school, although I'm going up to Philly to see Acid Mothers Temple tomorrow night. Which will be awesome. The song that I have for today is on the longer side, so maybe it will make up for the lack of updating that will result from this shorter week. I forgot my external hard drive cord at home anyway, so I wouldn't have much music on hand to post either way. All I have at the moment are my CD's and those will become obsolete shortly...ha, not really. And even if that is so, the album this song is from is an integral part of my stranded in my truck on I-95 for days collection. This along with Liquid Swords, Cries of the Past, and Surfer Rosa, obsolete or not, they are the first CD's I reach for if I need music I can count on. The album, Remain in Light, is one I am sure the majority of you all have heard of by now, it was produced by Brian Eno, yadda yadda, you can see what other more established critics have to say about the masterpiece. For me, the album doesn't get any better than the first track, it's rhythm is so thick you almost feel full, like after satisfying meal even as the razor's edge of trebled guitar and tight drumming spins dangerously close to slicing anything in audible proximity. The rest of the album is excellent as well, with the much better known, "Once In A Lifetime" smack in the middle. Still, I don't think anything matches David Byrne and Co.'s rallying cry that builds up through the song, the heat does go on, and no it's nothing new. And a little heat is always easier to take when you're stepping to some excellent brain funk.

Talking Heads - Born Under Punches (The Heat Goes On)

2 Comments:

Blogger Ryan K said...

yo man when are you leaving for philly? i was thinking about going up tmrw, for a different show. but then my car got the boot.

8:55 PM  
Blogger yirgacheffe said...

around 4, you can email me if you want to coordinate

10:27 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home