Thursday, September 22, 2005

just sleep, girl

And now, in direct musical contrast to my last post, today's song comes from one of my all time favorite groups. Converge is an extremely talented and influential band in the metal scene, starting in the early 90's and is still putting out albums today. The song I chose for this post os from 2002's Jane Doe, a concept album based on a girl's life that I really think is their best work. This album has no song on it that doesn't fit, or takes away from the cumulative blast of cathartic musical carnage. I really like this quote from Pitchfork's review, "Naturally, you can't follow a single word but the vox bleed into the furious guitars and it's all acidic corrosion. With the emphasis lately on Fennesz and the pixilated laptop set, it's easy to forget that there's whole realms of sound to be found in the lethal decay of metal guitar's radioactive isotopes." And I remember hearing those first shredded sounds coming out of the speakers at Smash Records in DC the first time I heard the album, and loved it, never having heard something like it before. Since then, the album has been one of the most consistently played in my collection, and I am still not tired of it.

Converge - Hell To Pay

*Other cool Converge stuff:

Vocalist Jacob Banning's Art

Converge Videos (Check out Concubine/Fault And Fracture)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home