Tuesday, April 26, 2005

examining the link between suicide and mandolin use

Today's songs are a little out of order, I actually heard the cover before I heard the original, but it seems after doing some reading on the internerd that that's how most people came across it as well. Superchunk's cover of 100,000 fireflies was included in their Incidental Music 1991-95 b-side collection, which was a cd I listened to countless times in high school. The original song was one of Stephen Merritt's first acclaimed successes in defining himself as a musician, and is still quite popular. The chiming minimalist track perfectly complements the lyrics dealing with lonliness in a endearing and humorous way.

Superchunk - 100,000 Fireflies


Magnetic Fields - 100,000 Fireflies

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yeah, know exactly what you mean... I actually only found out about the Magnetic Fields by accident, when I had the Superchunk cover automagically retagged by some software program as the Magnetic Fields... I thought I was in love, but it was a real surprise when I downloaded some songs and found that they were not what I expected at all... On the other hand, I came to love the original just as much, although I have to say I prefer the first two albums to more recent stuff... These days Stephen Merritt's songs remind me more of Bruce T. Holmes than the beautiful pop of Distant Plastic Trees and Wayward Bus.

(p.s. Bruce T. Holmes is my gf's uncle, so I have unlimited license to make fun of him. You may as well.)

2:47 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home