Thursday, September 15, 2005

hey dad

I don't usually listen to the lyrics of songs, which is ironic because I have so much music and listen to it quite often. Once in a while though, I find the lyrics surprise me and I really appreciate the song even more. This is true for a song that I have loved for years, and only recently made the effort to find out what Dave Grohl was yelling about. I thought up until the other day that he was saying, "Hey Dad!" maybe some kind of "Hi Mom!" variant. But I found out that he was saying, "I hate it!", which when in context of the rest of the song was pretty cool I thought.


Since I’m putting down all of the true things around, but I like it
I handed down the crown, given the jewels and the answers of may
The thought of being ousted comes and goes
When I think about it the wind blows
I hate it

Run me out of town, somewhere a move might intended a gown at
Pissed at all the bowels, always the blues and a delicate smile
Missed all of the sideways, gull and noun
Chills and petty band-aids, wrapped around
I hate it

Good grief

I really don't know what Dave was thinking about when he wrote this song, but to me it is a perfect catharsis for the days when nothing goes easy. You wake up too late, smack your head on something, drop your breakfast, and fail an exam.

Foo Fighters - Good Grief

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

that is hilarious! just last night i discovered that i was spelling cherbet wrong my entire life. CHERBET! not cherbert.

how foolish!

2:34 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home