Tuesday, March 21, 2006

mogwai fear pelican


Whoever Gary Weber is, he has a great song written in his memory. I got this album a while ago and really didn't listen to it too much, but this weekend while I was in the studio painting it came up. It isn't often that I get instrumental music stuck in my head, generally Pelican, Isis, Neurosis, GYBE, Mogwai, and the like play music that I can let kind of wash over me, but not directly engage with 100% of the time. This song, perhaps due to it's shortness just inhabits my mind fully. As my title might suggest, it's reminiscent of Mogwai, specifically to me, "Yes! I am a long way from home!" Maybe it's something in that persistent, high-hat smeared drumbeat and splayed guitars creating a canopy of melody hanging in your head. Anyway, I upon having heard the new Mogwai noticed that they are not only influencing bands like Pelican and Isis, but they are letting themselves be influenced as well, "Glasgow Mega-Snake" for example would not have been too out of place on Oceanic, if you asked me. But this is Pelican we are focusing on now, so take a moment and take in this heavy and beautiful track.

Pelican - GW

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

pig, do you like jesu?

11:54 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

best post title yet (ever?). Dip it.

5:24 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dude, I totally agree. GW is awesome, and it's in my head all day. I listen to it on repeat sometimes. It makes me happy.

8:44 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home