Saturday, March 18, 2006

certain fads



I changed my mind about Andrew Bird. I have heard a half dozen or so of his songs in the last year and thought they were ok, but overwrought with effort and kind of dry. Until last week when this girl was singing the violin line from the song, and it reminded me of some Bollywood song that had been stuck in my mind for at least a week. I was pretty excited because I thought she had just freed me from the frustrating problem of not knowing this song playing over and over in my mind, but when she told me it was and Andrew Bird song I was a little dissapointed. I was alot less dissapointed when I heard this song though, which does have a really nice Indian-sounding melody to it, and I was pleasantly surprised to be enjoying a song by an artist I thought I had written off. So if you too thought you didn't like Andrew Bird, give this song a listen, maybe it will change your mind too. Also, if you are somehow in the universe of possibilities reminded of a Bollywood song, (it's sung by a woman if that helps), don't hesitate to tell me, as I am still hunting.

Andrew Bird - Fake Palindromes

3 Comments:

Blogger countrygrrl said...

i also wasn't sure about Mr Bird, however, a few listens whilst out and about in town has changed my ears. i find his stuff really challenging and would find it hard to now listen to a Justin Timberlake album if i was forced to do such a thing.

5:02 AM  
Blogger FM in Flames said...

i knew you would come around, peter. andrew bird for president.

8:47 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The Happy Birthday Song....wow!

I love this review of The Mysterious Production of Eggs
from NY Times last month:

"It's got some of Arcade Fire's orchestral-rock charm, but without the big production and the angst - and a lot more whistling and songs about science"

1:08 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home