Monday, February 06, 2006

been so down lately


Of all the heart wrenching songs that are out there, few convey the raw recession of emotion so terribly as this song. In fact when I am down, I have to be careful to not let myself invest too much in songs like this, because it reinforces negative attitudes in such haunting tones of resplendent regret. It doesn't help that the music is pretty likely to get stuck in my head on account of the subversively catchy bass line. I have also included a cover of the song by hardcore band Give Up The Ghost, who do a pretty effective take of it with some nice screwdriver guitar around 1:25 and cleaner production. I think the Archers' dirtier production emphasizes the broken nature of the song, but it's nice to hear a different perspective on old familiar songs as well.

Archers Of Loaf - You And Me


Give Up The Ghost - You And Me

P.S. - Go get Icky Mettle now.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Archers of Loaf: None more icky'd. None more metall'd. Underrated n forgotten, thanks for remembering.

6:36 PM  
Blogger Fuck Your Jetta said...

Heh, people listen to Archers of Loaf still, and Give Up The Ghost covered them?

I never woulda thunk it, even though I involuntarily sang along to Web In Front while riding in the snow just last week.

8:52 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

yo i think i heard that archers of loaf "white trash heroes" because of you and sams m.wash days. if one good thing came out of those days, it was his itunes.

7:22 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home