Wednesday, April 15, 2009

in return


I seem to be reaching the end of my metal listening hiatus, which has lasted a surprising 3 or 4 months. While the general "metalness" of Torche could probably be debated, they lie at least on the heavier end of whatever spectrum you're using. It's probably best for me to stick with posting music in this range anyway, because I doubt the 5 people that read this are deeply invested in the arms race of extreme-ness that metal conversations inevitably polarize to.

If there were an extreme this song approaches, it wouldn't be aggression or really even heaviness. Among the cross pollinated shoegaze guitars and rolling floor tom thunder, a kind of acquiescent beauty emerges. This song is a white flag, post frustration, 5th step on the Kübler-Ross model blaze of emotion. I recognize linking to the 5 stages of grief is melodramatic, but I think we can all agree small psychic storms occur from time to time and as the Red Hot Chili Peppers so eloquently phrased, "music is my aeroplane." So maybe the next time the world begins to wear on you, you can find some palliative comfort here.

Torche - Bring Me Home

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home